Chia seeds have been touted as a magical superfood for the last couple of years. You already know that they are a great source of omega 3’s but did you know they also assist with weight loss and colon cleansing ? We will explore these two benefits plus several others in this article.
Heres 6 reasons why you should consume Chia seeds:
1. They help you to feel full- When water is added to chia seeds they swell in size and form a gel that helps you to feel full. This also leads to weight loss for those cutting calories. They don’t have an excessive amount of calories and are tasteless which allows them to take on the taste of any food or beverage that they are added to.
2. Prevents constipation– In the U.S processed foods have become the norm which leads to obesity, diabetes, stroke and countless other diseases. Chia seeds have both soluble and insoluble fiber and their gel like consistency allow the colon to be swept clean of waste.
3. Boost energy levels- Chia seeds are a complete protein and also help to keep your blood sugar balanced. This means having more energy, lessening your diabetes risk and being able lose or maintain weight.
4. Stop those cravings for junk food- Chia seeds contain more calcium than milk as well as magnesium, essential fatty acids, potassium, vitamin c, iron and boron . When our diets are balanced with healthful foods such as chia we are less likely to eat refined processed foods.
5. They are gluten free– Folks with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity can consume these with no issues. These days many of us eat way too much wheat (contains gluten) and gluten slows the colon cleansing process by forming a glue like substance in the intestines and mucous, too.
6. Inexpensive and easy to store- Chia seeds can be kept at room temperature for up to 2yrs without going rancid. You will only use a few teaspoons at time as they expand to several times their size when added to food or beverage. A bag of these seeds can be purchased for less than $10 per pound.
Chia seeds can be purchased from many health food stores and internet sites. Use them in smoothies, muffin batter, or as a energy drink and watch your health improve by leaps and bounds.